Peanut Free Chicken Pad Thai With Zucchini Noodles
I LOVE Thai Food! My favorite dish has always been Pad Thai but I have not ordered it for years because I am sure the sauce its full of ingredients that I try to stay away from, and I don't like the rice noodle overload. I also know many people who have peanut allergies who also have to stay away from Pad Thai since it is made with a peanut based sauce. For these reasons I was bound to re-create a similar version that everyone could enjoy, feel great about eating, and still taste delicious!!
When substituting noodles I usually opt for Spaghetti Squash or Zucchini Noodles which I can easily make with my Spiralizer. By doing this you are literally creating a dish full of vegetables. Zucchini noodles are also very mild in taste so I find that my children eat them with no problem as long as they are mixed in with a tasty sauce. For this recipes I used Sun Butter as the base which I find is most similar in taste to Peanut Butter. You could also sub in Almond Butter, but I find Sun Butter gives a better taste. I also have made this recipe pretty mild since I am feeding a household of kids. My oldest loves spicy foods, but the others don't. However, you can easily spice this up with adding addition chili sauce.
For a quick meal prep your sauce, prepare your zucchini noodles, and cook your chicken the day before!!!
Ingredients For Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Sun Butter
- 1/4 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1 TBSP Fish sauce
- 3 TBSP Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 Garlic Clove crushed
- 1 tsp Chili Paste (make sure to get one without yucky additives)
- 2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 10 Zucchini made into noodles ( 1-2 zucchini per serving/person)
- 1 cup Cilantro stems removed
- 8 oz Mung Bean Sprouts
- 4 Green Onions chopped
- 1/2 cup Cashews cut into pieces (for topping)
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1-2 Limes sliced into wedges
- In a bowl add your sun butter, garlic, chili sauce, coconut palm sugar and fish sauce and stir until combined. then slowly add in the coconut aminos while continuously stirring and set aside.
- Prepare your cilantro, chop the green onions, wash and dry the bean sprouts and chop up cashews and set everything aside.
- Cut ends of zucchini off and make noodles by using a spiralizer and set aside
- Take a large pot filled with water and set on burner to boil
- Meanwhile in another pan add coconut oil and when melted add your chicken pieces and mined garlic and sauté on medium heat.
- while chicken is cooking when water comes to a boil add he zucchini noodles and cook for approximately 5-6 minutes then drain noodles and set aside.
- When chicken is cooked through drain extra liquid and then add chicken back into pan along with the zucchini noodles, green onions and sauce. Combine and heat through.
- Serve noodle and chicken mixture on a plate, add a couple tablespoons of bean sprouts and cilantro, squeeze a wedge of lime and top with chopped cashews!