Grain Free Baked Chicken Nuggets
As a mom with kids chicken nuggets is of course a favorite. When people hear chicken nuggets I'm sure the first picture that come to their heads are unhealthy McDonald's chicken nuggets or some other recipe that is covered in refined flour and fried in unhealthy fats. Guess what, they don't all have to be unhealthy! You and your kids can enjoy delicious chicken nuggets that are tasty and nutritious. I have used many flour alternatives such a coconut flour and almond flour before, this recipe calls for Cassava flour which I just love because it can be substituted cup for cup with regular flour.
I also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs because I find they are much more tender than breast meat, and because they are a fattier cut of meat, while baking the fat makes the breaded part tastier as it melts through the bread coating. If you don't want to skin and debone a bunch of thighs Trader Joe's has Organic Free Range boneless skinless chicken thighs for a very decent price. You can use chicken breast if you can't find thighs, but if you do I suggest making sure they are fully coated with some melted ghee/ lard/ or duck fat before dipping them in the flour. These make a great lunch for the kids the day after. They enjoy them warm or cold! My kids enjoy these with some BBQ sauce or some ketchup. I hope you and your kiddos enjoy these as much as mine do!!
Servings: 2 lbs of chicken cut into nugget size pieces
- 2 Lbs of Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Cup Cassava Flour
- 3 TBSP melted Duck Fat or Ghee
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or grease baking sheets with ghee or duck fat.
- In a large bowl combine cassava flour along with the the other dry ingredients.
- Melt your ghee or duck fat and pour into another large sized bowl.
- Cut your chicken into 2-3 inch sized nugget pieces.
- Now take all of your chicken pieces and add them to your bowl with the melted fat. Toss to make sure the fat is spread on all of the pieces.
- Take a few pieces of chicken at a times and toss them in the bowl with your flour mixture then place them on the baking sheets.
- When all of your chicken is covered with your flour mixture place the baking sheets into the oven to bake for approximately 40 min.