Gingery Butternut Squash Soup
I know I've been posting lots of squash recipes lately, pumpkin pie smoothie, pumpkin spice muffins, last weeks Kale Salad with butternut squash. But come on guys it's fall and I just can't resist. I LOVE squash season so when I have an excuse to incorporate squash into almost every meal I will. So if you are not a squash or pumpkin lover I'm sorry, but I promise that I'll slow down with the squash recipes soon. Especially if you have taken out most grains from your diet incorporating all kinds of squash can be a great way to get in some nutrient dense carbs that you may be lacking.
I'm also a ginger lover for many reasons taste being one but also for its nutritional benefits. Ginger is extremely soothing to the gut and contains anti inflammatory properties. Ginger also contains antimicrobial and anti-bacterial properties. By adding ginger regularly to your diet you can help boost your immune system naturally. So great to add during this cold and flue season. It's also a great addition to when you are sick and in higher doses will help decrease body aches that come with a fever.
This soup is extremely soothing with just a touch of ginger. I promise the ginger does not over power it, but, if you love ginger like I do feel free to add more to your liking. I'm a huge fan of leftover soup for breakfast especially during the colder months when something like a smoothie is just appealing but you need something quick. Also, if you can't have eggs it can be difficult to come up with breakfast ideas.
To make soup prep quicker I suggest you prepare my homemade bone broth the day before and also cut up and roast your squash along with the onion and apple the day before.You can store this in the fridge for the next day when you make your soup. If you don't have the time to make your own broth or the bones you can always buy a high quality prepared bone broth. My two favorites are Bonafide Provisions and Kettle & Fire which you can find on the shelf and freezer section of most Whole Foods or Natural Grocery Stores. And if you can't get a hold of those pick out a regular organic chicken broth which all regular grocery stores will have!!
Servings: 6 Cups
- 6 Cups Butternut Squash Cubed
- 2.5 Cups Chicken Bone Broth (You can find my recipe for homemade chicken broth HERE)
- 1/2 Large Sweet Yellow Onion
- 1 Apple sliced with skin
- 2 TBSP Ghee
- Fresh Ginger Root 1-2 inch knob grated
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- Peel squash and cut into cubes.
- Slice apple leaving skin on and slice onion.
- Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees F and lay out cubed squash, apple and onion on a baking sheet.
- Melt your 2 TBSP of ghee then pour ghee over squash mixture and toss so that the ghee is covering all of the mixture.
- Roast in oven for 45 minutes then remove to cool.
- In a high speed blender add your broth, roasted squash mixture, grated ginger, sea salt, nutmeg and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- If your broth and squash were prepared the day before and cold pour blended soup into a saucepan and heat over the stove until heated through.
- Serve warm and enjoy!!