Instant Pot Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Chili
I hope you all had a relaxing holidays. I'm still mind blown how fast each holiday season goes by. I had a list of little projects and stuff I wanted to get done around the house and I feel like I only got about half of them done. thats what 4 kids, blogging, and a couple side jobs will do for you.
Each new year many of us ( I'm at fault as well), make new year resolutions that we never fall through with. We go for maybe a month or two then stop. It's not that we are all lazy or don't want to change for the better, but most of the times this is because we set unrealistic exceptions/resolutions. For example, if you are eating a diet full of junk then setting a resolution that you will cut out all junk and completely can just be too much for some. While others may do just fine with this. Same goes for exercise. If you are not exercising at all making a resolution that you will start exercising 5-6 days a week can just be too much. Start with 2-3 days a week and build up on that. I just wanted to mention this real quick because I see it so much which then causes people to feel like failures which then causes more struggles with eating ore exercising.
This year I have personally set a goal to do self care more often. I will be setting a aside 1 time a week to take a bath, and set aside some time very week to sit in my new infrared sauna!! This year I am focused on healing my body. I will let you all know down the line how that is going for me. So I suggest thinking a little about what you really want and what is realistic for you to achieve. Set small resolutions and build upon those!!
And you have to try this Chili cause it is AMAZING!!!! I promised you I would start posting some Instant Pot recipes so here is my first. I've been experimenting almost daily with my Instant Pot and have loved everything i have cooked in it so far. It's really a game changer in our house. This recipe is pretty mild because only one of my kids likes super spicy so feel free to add additional chili powder for more of a kick!
Ingredients For Chili:
- 2 1lbs Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 4 cups of Bone Broth preferably homemade (beef or chicken will both work)
- 1 28oz can/jar Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 Large Butternut Squash cubed
- 1 Large Sweet Potato cubed ( I used a white one but any color will work)
- 1 Large Yellow Onion Diced
- 3 oz Tomato Paste
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 TBSP Chili Powder ( add more if you your chili spicier)
- 1 TBSP Ghee
- 1 TBSP Oregano
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- In the Instant Pot on sauté setting melt your ghee and then add your onions, butternut squash, sweet potato, garlic, and spices and for about 2 minutes.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and add the beef, tomatoes, sea salt , and broth to the pot. Make sure to break the beef into smaller pieces.
- Turn your Instant Pot to Manual setting and cooking for 30 min. ( if you don't have an Instant Pot you can cook this in a regular slow cooker for 6-8 hours.
- You can eat plain or serve over some delicious bacony kale recipe to follow!
Ingredients For Kale:
- 2 bunches of Kale
- 3 pieces of bacon
- 2-3 TBSP Bone Broth
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- Wash and dry kale completely. Then tear kale into smaller pieces removing the stem.
- In a pan cook the bacon then set bacon aside leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the kale to the pan and sauté on medium heat.
- While kale is cooking crumble your bacon pieces and add them to the pan leaving a little extra for a topping for the chili if you like.
- Add the spices and the bone broth and continue to cook for a few more minutes until kale is cooked through but not completely wilted.
- Add kale to your bowl and top with a good portion of chili. This can also be used as a side dish for any main course meal.