Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
Weekends usually mean pancakes. Sometimes if we have enough time during the week I may cook them up for a treat, but most of the time I leave them for the weekends. If you or your kids have been missing pancakes due to an allergy to gluten or even nuts then you will love these because they are free of both of those ingredients yet still fluffy and delicious.
As I have been baking both grain an gluten free for many years now, but I am always learning new ingredients and tricks to make these items more like the ones everyone loves. Cassava flour ( my personal favorite is Ottos Naturals) is and mazing substitute for recipes that you would normally use flour in. unlike some of the other grain free flours cassava flour can be substituted cup for cup in recipes that call for regular flour. Don't get cassava flour confused with tapioca starch, although they come from the same plant they are not processed the same way.
These pancakes where inspired by my love for apple pie and apple crisp. I have added lots of cinnamon in the recipe so if you are not a cinnamon lover you can always cut the amount back just a bit and these will still taste delicious. The apples also add additional natural sweetness so less syrup is needed!!
Servings: 12-15 medium sized pancakes
- 5 Eggs (preferably pastured)
- 1 cup Cassava Flour
- 1 cup Coconut Milk ( full fat or regular )
- 1/4 cup Arrowroot Flour/Starch
- 2 TBSP Coconut Flour
- 2 Apples sliced and chopped into small pieces
- 2 TBSP Grass Fed Butter of Ghee plus extra to cook pancakes
- 1 1/2 TBSP Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Soda (aluminum free)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- In a saucepan over medium head melt butter /ghee and add apples. Toss in cinnamon and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until apples are beginning to soften. Make sure to store frequently so as not to burn. when done remove from heat to cool.
- While apples are cooking in a large bowl sift all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl beat your eggs and then add your remaining wet ingredients (coconut milk and vanilla extract).
- Now add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add half of apples to the pancake mixture and leave half of them to use as a topping for your pancakes.
- Let pancake mixture sit for a few minutes while you heat a griddle with some ghee.
- Use a 1/4 measuring cup full of pancake mix for each pancake. Cook pancakes until medium brown on each side.
- Serve pancakes warm with a little maple syrup an top with some cooked cinnamon apples.