Dairy Free Cashew Peach Ice-Cream
I can't believe another week has already past and we are on yet another weekend. It's been a crazy week with our littlest one breaking two teeth so she's been just a bit fussy. It has also been a little warmer her in Colorado , and when it's hot my kids are always begging for popsicles or ice-cream. So I decided to try something new and experiment making an ice-cream using cashews. Peaches are in season so I had a bunch of those on hand so peach ice-cream it was!! I also decided to use dates to sweeten this making it baby friendly ( since under 1 year old honey is contraindicated), and it is technically vegan friendly. Like always I tried to make this as simple as possible. You can make this in an ice-cream maker which will give it a soft serve constancy which I love. You can get them for just over $50. No worries if you don't cause it works just fine to freeze it and let it soften then whip it up when you are ready to eat. I was happy to see that my kids enjoyed this and little Ava who is 11 months old loved it as well. I even think it helped take the edge of her sore gums. This ice-cream is not as sweet as most, but it is still creamy, peachy, and quite enjoyable!
- 1 1/2 c Cashews Soaked for 4-6 hours
- 7 Medjool Dates pits removed and soaked for at least 30 min (add just enough water to submerge dates completely)
- 4 Ripe Peaches
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup filtered water (add more water if you want a thiner, less creamy ice-cream)
- Drain and rinse cashews and add them to a blender. Add in the dates along with the water they were soaking in, 2 peaches, and the remaining ingredients and blend on high until completely creamy with no chunks.
- Add this mixture to an ice-cream maker or if you do not have one add to a freezer safe container and freeze.
- Meanwhile chop up the remaining 2 peaches into small pieces. Add in half of the chopped pieced to the ice-cream mixture when it has begun to thicken in the ice-cream maker or in the freezer.
- When your ice-cream is ready add the additional chopped pieces as a topping. And there you have a delicious AND healthy treat!!!
** If you are using the freezer method make sure to check on the ice-cream every hour and stir. You can also let freeze overnight and take out to soften and then fold in chopped peaches**