Alex's Bacon N'Egg Salad
Happy Monday friends!!
I am SO excited to share this simple recipe for the simple fact that my youngest son Alex helped me come up with the recipe hint the name of the recipe!! One of the biggest challenges I know many of parents out there face is getting their kids to eat healthy non-processed foods. And, it can be even more challenging when your family has not always eaten a real-food based diet and now have decided to make the transitions. This can leave your kids confused and angry that they are not being allowed to enjoy all those tasty but horrible for your body foods they once were eating daily.
Some of the best advice I can give you to get your kids to start eating the food you cook is get them involved in the kitchen!!!! I can't stress how important this is, and I promise that you will see them eating more food if you get them involved. Let them help you cook. Even if they are too small to use a knife there are many other tasks they can help with such as; cracking an egg, or measuring out ingredients, or even just dumping in the ingredients. They will get excited about food and cooking and will at least want to try whatever you make because they made it too! I also suggest that you let them pick out some recipes that they think they might like, pick out fresh produce at the Farmer's Market, and get them in the garden if you have one. Or make it a project of yours to start your own garden with the kids!!
My little guy is a pretty good eater, but out of all my children he definitely is the pickiest. He loves bacon though and he loves helping out in the kitchen so together we came up with this delicious take on regular egg salad. We eat this plain or sometimes they get a rice cake to eat it with. You could also add to some lettuce for a lettuce wrap. You do it however you like!!
- 6 hard Boiled Eggs peeled and cut into small pieces
- 4 Slices Bacon cooked and crumbled into small pieces ( Pastured/humanely raised bacon)
- 1 Stalk of Celery finally chopped
- 2 TBSP Homemade mayo or Primal Kitchen mayo
- 2 tsp bacon fat (from cooked bacon)
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- Pepper and Sea Salt to taste
- In a frying pan cook your bacon and remove to cool. Reserve some of the bacon grease to add to your salad.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop your eggs and add them to a large bowl.
- When the bacon has cooled down cut each strip into small pieces or crumble.
- To the bowl with the eggs add your chopped celery along with the remaining ingredients and mash together until no large pieces of egg are present, and all ingredients are completely moved together. Enjoy!!