Pumpkin Pie Superfood Smoothie
The weather has been quite chilly here in Colorado over the past week, although it warmed up a little these past few days. Leaves are changing and fall is in full force which means I'll be bringing you all pumpkin recipes! I made some pumpkin muffins for the kids snack and lunches last week so I'll be sharing that recipe with all of you in the next few weeks as well.
Today's recipe is a delicious Pumpkin Pie smoothie packed full of superfoods like collagen, turmeric and ginger and full of healthy fats from avocado and coconut. This smoothie makes the perfect breakfast to start your day off or enjoy for an afternoon pick me up or perfect for a post workout treat because of the protein and carbs from the pumpkin and sweet potato!! If you are vegan leave out the collagen and replace the honey with maple syrup. I also like to point out that this recipes does call for almond butter but if you can't do almonds sub out another nut or seed butter instead. I promise you this smoothie will leave you feeling full and satisfied. It tastes like a treat but it's actually packed full of nutrients.
Since my gut healing journey began I'm always finding ways to incorporate collagen and turmeric into my diet. Turmeric is such a superfood and I know I've mentioned it before. It has been used for thousands of years in countries like India and in Ayurvedic medicine for it's anti inflammatory properties. It is also an immune booster so great to take this time of year when we tend to get sick more often. Collagen is great for healing the gut lining and has anti aging benefits boosting the health of your skin, nails, hair and ligaments. My two favorite brands I use are Great Lakes, and Vital Proteins. I just ordered a new kind through Thrive Market which is their own brad so I will report back and let you all know I like it. All of these brands come from reputable companies that only source from grass fed/ pasture raised cows. Make this smoothie Whole30 compliant omit the honey and use unsweetened almond or coconut milk ( my recipe call for dates so is whole 30 compliant).
Servings : 1 smoothie
- I cup almond or coconut milk try (using homemade almond milk recipe)
- 3/4-1 Cup Ice
- 1/2 baked Sweet Potato ( without skin and cooled bake the night before then store in fridge)
- 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1 scoop/2 TBSP Collagen (omit for vegan option)
- 1 TBSP Almond Butter
- 2tsp-1TBSP Raw Honey *optional* (sub maple syrup for vegan option)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper ( this increases the bioavailability of the Turmeric so DON'T LEAVE OUT)
- In a blender add your almond/coconut milk along with remaining ingredients except for collagen. Blend until completely smooth.
- When completely blended add in collagen and blend for just a few more seconds. Pour into large glass, sprinkle with some cinnamon and enjoy :)