Warm Breakfast Porridge
Several years back when I transitioned our family to a real food lifestyle we pretty much gave up cereal and oatmeal for breakfast. Yes, sometimes we eat oatmeal, but there are just so many more nutrient dense foods we can eat that we choose other foods more often. And, if we do eat oatmeal I make sure to add in lots of additional ingredients like collagen, ghee or coconut oil, and chia seeds.
There is something about a warm breakfast that is so comforting at least to me! Like I always do, I try to figure out ways to add in more nutrient and vegetables to my children's diet which led me to come up with this breakfast porridge that actually uses a base of butternut squash. The combination of using the squash and a banana gives it just the right amount of sweetness without adding in additional sugar. If you want it a little sweeter add in a 1-2 Tablespoons of raw honey or maple syrup.
All 4 of my kids loved this porridge. They gobbled it down and told me that they wanted me to make it again! I did add in just a little gluten free oats in this recipe, but if you want to leave out the grains just add in a little extra flax seeds in place of the oats. I also love to add in collagen peptides when I can for extra protein so that is also an option that would not mess up the taste at all. I didn't add them to the recipe here, but I have made this porridge both with and without collagen and it tastes the same. I usually will add 1-2 scoops/1-2 servings. I like to top this porridge with some fresh berries and drizzle the top with some local honey!
This is the perfect breakfast to make with your leftover roasted butternut squash from the night before, or you can roast some the a couple days before and store in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
Servings: Approximately 4
- 1 1/2 cups cubed and roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk ( canned or unsweetened from a container)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flakes ( unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup ground Flax Seeds (add additional 1/4 cup if leaving out Oats)
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Oats
- 1 very ripe Banana
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Peel and cube butternut squash, then roast at 400 degrees on a parchment lined baking sheet for 35-45 minutes. You can also use frozen cubed butternut squash.
- In a blender add your squash along with banana, coconut milk, coconut flakes, cinnamon, and sea salt and blend for about 30-60 seconds until everything is mixed but you still have some small flakes of coconut left.
- In a saucepan add your mixture from the blender and also add the grounds flax seeds, chia seeds, and oats. stir and warm the porridge on low-medium heat for 5 minutes or until warm but not too hot.
- Eat immediately and top with your favorite fruit with a little honey or maple syrup for a little extra sweetness.