Loaded Breakfast Bowl With Sweet Pepper Tahini Sauce
Life has been just a little crazy lately with the hubby gone and I have not been able to get creative in the kitchen as much as I would like. I feel like there are just not enough hours in the day to get everything done. I'm sure some of you moms out their can emphasize with me. I have a little over a month more to go and I will have some help again!
Since my husband has been gone meals are simple and a bit lazy. You don't have to compromise health if busy and go to McDonalds, but lately there have been a lot of nights where I have thrown in a Gluten Free Pizza made with real food ingredients such as my favorite brand Capello's ( Whole Foods and Natural Grocers both carry the brand) or quickly made some Applegate Grass Fed Hot Dogs . We all go through crazy times and sometimes cooking up a well rounded meal just doesn't happen. I've really been digging the Primal Kitchen Salad dressings and they are also a hit with the kids especially the ranch flavor. This has also made it easy for me to throw some salad greens on a plate and cover it with dressing!! All of the Primal Kitchen dressings are a healthy alternative to regular salad dressing since they are all avocado oil based ( no soy or canola oils) and they are all made with real food ingredients!
So over the weekend when I did have a little extra time on my hands I decided to whip up this breakfast bowl. I know we can often get stuck on just a few things to eat for breakfast and it gets boring. I personally love the concept of bowls for meals. Sweet potato hash is a favorite in our family. You make it just like you would regular potato hash browns. Then I sautéed some leftover kale and cherry tomatoes I had on hand, fried up some eggs, and made a tahini sauce made with sweet bell pepper to add a little uniqueness to the dish. tahini can be an acquired taste so if you don't like hummus then just leave the sauce off. Also, spinach can easily be subbed out for the kale, however the kale I prefer here because it adds more flavor and texture than spinach does. To cut down on your time, prepare the sweet potatoes the day or evening before and bag them up. I use the grating setting on my food processor which makes it easy and also cuts on time, however, if you don't own a food processor, you can grate the sweet potatoes using a cheese grater.
Servings: 1 Bowl
Ingredients for Bowl:
- 1 small -medium Sweet Potato peeled and grated
- 2 pastured Eggs
- 1/2 bunch of Kale stems removed and torn into small pieces
- 10 Cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2-3 Tbsp Ghee/ Grass Fed Butter
- Sea salt to taste
Ingredients for Sweet Pepper Tahini Sauce:
- 1/2 Sweet Bell Pepper (I used a red one)
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 3 TBSP Full Fat canned Coconut Milk
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 small fresh clove of Garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea Salt
- Peel sweet potato and grate using a food processor or cheese grater.
- Heat a pan with 1-2 TBSP of ghee or butter and add sweet potatoes. Cook on both sides until cooked through and slightly brown.
- While sweet potatoes prepare your kale and cut slice your cherry tomatoes in half.
- Prepare the tahini sauce as well by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a blender and blending on high until all ingredients are completely mixed into a smooth sauce.
- When sweet potatoes are ready remove and add them to your bowl. Add 1/2 TBSP more of butter/ghee to pan and add the kale and tomatoes. sauté on medium heat until kale is wilted and skin of tomatoes are wrinkly. season with a little sea salt to taste.
- Remove kale and tomatoes and add to your bowl. Again add approximately 1/2 TBSP more of butter/ghee to pan and add your eggs. Cook sunny side up or over easy. When eggs are down add them to your bowl and drizzle some sweet pepper tahini sauce on top and enjoy your breakfast bowl warm!
**I call this a breakfast Bowl because it makes for an awesome alternative full of nutrients, but this would be great for lunch or dinner as well**